The holiday season turned tragic for one local family Saturday night when a fire destroyed their home and possessions.
Bill and Vicki Nowling, along with their four children, were asleep at their home on John G. Bryant Road when one of the children was awakened by a popping sound just after 11 p.m. The noise turned out to be a fire.
The family escaped the home, but it was soon fully engulfed. Firefighters from Nettle Ridge, Blountstown, and Magnolia fire departments were dispatched to the scene, but the home was declared a total loss.
Vicki suffered a burn on her hand and the entire family was treated by EMS for minor smoke inhalation.
The cause of the blaze is believed to be a kerosene heater.
Co-workers of Bill at Neal Land & Timber, are collecting items for the family. They had no insurance on the home.
Ages and sizes are as follows:
Bill - pants 30/32, large shirt
Vicki - size 14/16
Teenage son - jeans 34/34, large shirt, 12 shoes
Twin girls, age 13 - size 14/16 pre-teen (they are small), girls size 6.5 and 7, preteen large shirts
Son in elementary school - size 9/10 little boys, med. shirt, 5 shoes
All of the kids need school supplies. Take donations to Neal Land & Timber at the Blountstown river landing.